First Presbyterian Church pre-SChool & Toddlers (Mother’s Morning Out)
Parent Handbook 2018 – 2019
Application and Supply Fees
● A non-refundable application fee of $30.00 is due with the application and a non-refundable supply fee of $45.00 is due upon acceptance. First month’s tuition is due with application. All other payments are due the first of each month, beginning in September, ending in April, by the first each month. A $20.00 late fee will be assessed for tuition not received by the 5th.
● The following tuition schedule is set for the 2018-2019 school year:
Toddlers (Mother’s Morning Out) 2 days $110.00 per month
2-day class $110.00 per month
3-day class $140.00 per month
5-day class $175.00 per month
● The first month’s tuition is due with application. All other payments are due the first of each month, beginning in September, ending in April, by the 5th of each month. A $20.00 late fee will be assessed for tuition not received by the 5th.
● Checks should be made out to First Presbyterian Pre-School.
● If payment is not received by the end of the month and arrangements have not been made with the weekday school council, the child will be withdrawn from the program.
● Tuition for Toddlers (Mother’s Morning Out) follows the same policies.
● If a child is not present, but signed up, payment is still due.
● Tuition may be raised with a thirty-day notice from the Pre-School Council.
● If a child is withdrawn from the First Presbyterian Pre-School, a 30-day notice in writing is required and the tuition paid in advance will be refunded only after the vacancy is filled.
● Payments may be made in the following ways:
● Envelopes will be provided to parents in the child’s book bag monthly.
● Money orders or checks will be accepted in the envelopes. These may be made payable to First Presbyterian Pre-School and must include the child's name and class in the memo line. Please return to the church office or mail in the envelope provided.
● Cash payments are accepted.
● Issues with past due collections will be reported to and managed by the weekday school council.
● Payments are due on the 1st of each month and will be considered late if not received by the 5th of each month. If payment is not received by the 5th, a statement will be generated by First Presbyterian Pre-School council (which may include late fees) and will be sent home.
● Children entering the Toddlers (Mother’s Morning Out) classes must be 18 months old by August 31st.
● Children entering the 2 & 3-day classes must be three by August 31st.
● Children entering the 5-day class must be four by August 31st.
● All children entering the 2, 3 or 5-day classes must be completely potty trained.This does not apply to Toddlers (MMO).
● The preschool reserves the right to request withdrawal of a child whom the school feels is not ready for the preschool program. This is done with the best interest of the child in mind. The child may be accepted back into the program at a later date.
● Classes are filled giving priority in the following way:
Members of First Presbyterian Church
Children currently enrolled
Siblings of children currently enrolled
● Waiting lists are compiled as needed.
Hours of Operation
● Weekday classes meet from 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. MMO classes meet from 8:45 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
● Since the teachers need time to prepare their classrooms for the day, weekday school doors will not be opened before 8:30 a.m. and Toddlers (Mother’s Morning Out) doors will not be opened before 8:45.
● A child brought to school must be left in the presence of a staff member. Children must never be dropped off.
● Children arriving after carpool line must be walked in with a parent/guardian.
● Each child will be released only to the parent/guardian or a person designated by the parent/guardian. Names of carpool drivers and relatives must be on file.
● Pre-school morning carpool line is from 8:30 a.m. to 8:40 a.m. Those using carpool line are to turn right on Morris Circle from Cole St. Cars will pull forward and stay in carpool line with children remaining buckled inside the car until a teacher/volunteer helps each child out of the car. Children may not exit vehicles without adult assistance.
● Afternoon carpool line is from 12:00 p.m. to 12:10 p.m. and follows the same procedure.
● Drivers may not park in the carpool line.
● Toddlers (Mother’s Morning Out) children will be brought directly to their classroom at 8:45 and picked up at 11:45 from their classroom.
● Please refrain from cell phone use while in the carpool line.
● The carpool line is not the appropriate time to discuss your child. Please make appointment with the teacher.
Classroom Visits & Conferences
● Parent/guardian conferences are offered twice a year but may be scheduled throughout the year as needed.
● Special problems or occurrences affecting the child will be brought to the attention of the parent/guardian.
● Any changes in the family home environment should be communicated to the teacher and shall be dealt with professionally and confidentially.
● During the beginning and the dismissing of school, teachers are busy and cannot speak with adults at these times. Make an appointment to discuss your child.
● Please refrain from contacting the teachers during school hours unless there is an emergency or urgent matter. This allows the teachers to keep their focus on the children.
● Classes will begin Tuesday, September 4, 2018 and end Friday, May 31, 2018. The first week of school, classes will have an abbreviated schedule beginning at 8:45 and dismissing at 11:00 to help the children adjust.
● Holidays and teacher workdays will be observed following the Harnett County Public School calendar.
School Closing, Early Dismissal, Delays Due to Weather
● Preschool follows the weather closing decisions of Harnett County Public Schools. If Harnett County is closed, First Presbyterian Weekday School will be closed.
● In the event of imminent danger due to severe weather conditions, the safety of children will be our priority.
● Should a child have a known allergy to specific foods, every precaution will be taken by the staff to ensure the health and safety of that child. Snack options will be discussed with the parent.
● Keep birthday parties simple. Notify the teacher in advance if you plan to have a party. If a child wishes to pass out invitations for a home party, all children in the class should be invited. Otherwise, invitations should be delivered outside of school.
● Please mark clothing and personal belongings with your child’s name.
● All children should bring an extra set of clothing to be kept at school. Remember to switch clothing when the seasons change. Toddlers (Mothers Morning Out) children should have an extra set of clothing in their bags each day.
● Science materials and any nature specimens you and your child find may be brought to the school at any time. Please check with child’s teacher about other items that he/she may want to share. Guns, holsters and money may not be brought.
● Children in the Toddlers (MMO) class may bring personal items at the discretion of the teacher.
● Please have your child wear shoes appropriate for participation in games and rhythmic activities inside and outside. Cowboy boots, flip-flops or clogs are dangerous on steps and playground equipment.
● Please consider weather conditions and the high level of activity when dressing them for school.
● For safety and hygiene reasons, animals are not permitted inside the buildings of First Presbyterian Church.
● Service animals are the only exception to this policy.
● Discipline at preschool is a positive way of teaching children how to manage their own behavior. Aggressive or other unacceptable behavior (including but not limited to hitting, biting, pushing and inappropriate language) must be addressed immediately. Our goal is to help them learn to express emotions in respectful and courteous ways and to help them solve problems by making good choices. As needed, we will redirect the children to areas of play where they can be successful. We also establish classroom rules and teach children the process for following those rules. If necessary, we will give a child time to sit and think quietly away from others. If unsuitable behavior becomes problematic, the teacher will complete an incident report form and make every effort to work with parents/guardians to reach a resolution that is helpful to the child. Persistent behavior of an inappropriate nature may result in discontinuing the child’s enrollment in our preschool. Such decisions will be at the discretion of the weekday school council.
● Our teachers will handle behavior in a positive and loving matter.
Teacher will talk with the child about behavior.
Teacher will use a thinking time.
Teacher will contact the parent.
● The teachers and the Pre-School Council together determine if a child is not adjusting. We will contact you if your child’s needs cannot be met by our weekday school. The aim of our program is to meet the well-being of both the individual child as well as the group.
Endorsement of Products or Services
● It is the preschool’s policy not to endorse or promote any product or service through the preschool. This policy was established to be fair to all individuals, and to serve as a protection for the parents/guardians.
Personal web sites, blogs and other forms of social media such as Twitter, Instagram and Facebook have become prevalent methods of self-expression and community interaction in our culture. In our effort to safeguard children, it is essential to maintain the privacy and security of all our families.
Posting of other people without their permission may violate privacy laws therefore parents are advised not to upload pictures or videos related to the weekday school. A permission form is to be included in the weekday school registration packet seeking authorization for the weekday school to use children’s photos in official weekday school materials. This form does not grant permission to anyone other than weekday school /church staff.
Parents are encouraged to contact the teacher first regarding any classroom concerns. If that is not effective to alleviate the concerns, parents should contact the moderator of the weekday school council at First Presbyterian Church. It is not appropriate to hold public discussions on social media regarding our weekday school, children, staff or weekday school business that could more readily be handled as outlined above. Any such public comments or discussion that are deemed to be offensive or negatively impact the weekday school reputation, the church, church staff, weekday school staff, or weekday school family member may result in the following actions:
1. Request the information to be removed;
2. Discontinuing a child’s enrollment in our weekday school program
● A copy of each child’s health form /immunization record must be provided before the beginning of each school year. Each child must be current on vaccinations to be eligible to attend preschool.
● Precautions will be taken always to safeguard the health of the group. The school will notify the parents/guardians if there is a possibility of exposure to a communicable disease. It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to inform the school of any known illness.
● Children should not attend school if the child shows any signs of illness.
● Children should be kept home during the infectious period of a cold and any time there is a fever present. A child who has a fever, an upset stomach (within 12 hours) or any communicable disease must stay home for the health of the other children. A child must be fever and symptom free for 24 hours prior to returning to preschool without fever reducing medication.
● If a child becomes ill at preschool, all efforts will be made to reach the emergency contact listed in the office. If the emergency contact cannot be reached, and the child appears to be very ill, the preschool teacher will call 911.
● Teachers may administer medications on an emergency basis only. A medical form will be included in each registration packet and must be completed prior to attendance.
Staff Training and Safety
● Teachers will receive CPR training.
● In the event a child is injured while at preschool, an accident report form will be completed by the preschool staff within twenty-four hours.
First Presbyterian Church Pre-School
901 N Park AveDunn, NC 28334
Preschool Teachers and Assistant Teachers
5 Day Class: Leigh Anne Hester
3 Day Class: Gina Warren & Lisa Ennis
2 Day Class: Elyse Johnson & Lisa Ennis
Toddlers (Mother's Morning Out): Elyse Johnson & Yolanda Geddie